Author Topic: Serendipity  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Tom.

• anime
Serendipity
« on: April 12, 2016, 03:09:17 PM »
I'm exhausted.

Once things become routine it seems like everything is painted in shades of gray and there's little change from the dull dreary rhythm we take to heart.

Violence. Sex. Drugs.
Affection. Love. Friendship.

Sometimes it feels like you have no impact on the world. When you pluck one weed from the garden two more sprout where it once stood, and despite how much effort you invest in keeping what you sowed unhampered they're brown and withered by the morning.

I feel the tug of everything at once, I feel urges to kill and to murder and I feel urges to satiate urges and give up.

Wake up.
Someone attacked someone.
End them.

Words became sour.
People got offended.
Weapons were drawn.
End them.

Spare them?
Don't you dare think about it.

I really love to paint. . .
                                   but my muse has run dry.

The House is gone. Vanished. Poof. Not a single trace.
Madness lies in its wake, lust for blood and death has been etched into every mind that dared follow. Corruption seeps through their pores as the sweat of laboring bodies but nobody bats an eye.

This is normality.

The mirror shatters. I pick up a piece and look at it.

Men in dark cloaks, beaked with hollow cheeks and sunken eyes wander the streets. We look at everything and we see that it's withering. Man, woman and child cry out for help but their exclaims of need are weak and breathless. They speak but no words leave their lips, they lie in agony but there's nothing to be done. Rest now. Go on. Don't reject the pain. Embrace it.

I set it down and pick up another.

Men in beige uniforms with respirators over their faces wander the streets. We look at everything and we see that it's withering. In our hands we hold fire that's breathed, smoke that destroys the body from the inside out and makes flesh shrivel at the slightest touch. We've got powder that screams before it explodes and metal flies everywhere. We are Godlike. They try to fight it but they can not. Don't reject the pain. Embrace it.

And another. This one is larger.

Men in suits and ties stare at a screen. Its dim glow garnishes their featureless faces and apathetic gazes. A province is etched into it and a single red button lies before us. Should we? ...No. But I do. There's the silent hushed breath as rotors cut through the air, and the whistling as a shell of death lowered farther and farther. It cut through the sky until it met the ground in a final and bitter kiss. We. Are. Gods. There is no pain. Embrace it.

My hand is bleeding. I dropped the shard and it broke off into a million more pieces. I see it. All of it.

Times of bliss. Times of angst. Times of love. Times of hate.

I die in my lover's arms. They die in mine. I fall into another trap. I lure someone into mine. I feel the noose at my throat. I'm the one kicking their stool.

We're alone. We're tired. Through sheer will and determination we continued forward. Sparks of steel against steel and webs of lightning lash at one another.

I can make the pain fade...

I like it. It makes me feel alive.

I don't stand a chance against him. But just before everything fades to black and my thread is snipped he hesitated. He let me. Crimson spilled from his lips and he looked at me. I looked at him too, and then I looked down. My sword pierced the soft of his stomach.

Even Gods could fall.

He retracted but there was nothing to be done. He nearly collapsed but I caught him. I could see the exhaustion in his eyes. He was tired. Everyone was.

I'm not ready..

Yes, you are.

But Ragnar and Lina—

Have great destiny before them. They're of your blood after all.

And Arl—

Will be a great mother. She will move on but she won't forget you.

I've almost forgotten how it pain feels.

Everyone has.

... is this the end?

Only for a moment. Then we begin once more.

I'm ready.

We weren't standing anymore. I was kneeling beside him and kept him elevated. We weren't alone anymore but we were surrounded. It wasn't a crowd,  it was more. Some wept. Some rejoiced. Some did a mix of both. It was the world.

Who are they?

Your lineage.

We were alone again. His breath was labored and his warmth wasn't there anymore. His spark was being snuffed out. 

I'm afraid.

It's okay to be afraid.

I was left holding him within my arms. He was gone.

But not forgotten.

I looked at my reflection in the pool of red on the ground.

Was he the real abomination...
Or was it me?

Offline Leon.

• Master Of Format
  • Bored.
Re: Serendipity
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 03:19:57 PM »
Nice story. That is the teaser?

Offline Tom.

• anime
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 03:24:34 PM »
Perhaps. Who knows?

Offline Bogdan.

• Void traveler
  • Definitely not a mage.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »
Heavy stuff.

Offline Dielan

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:35:36 PM »
That was really cool. So, I assume this and bog's stories are two different routes the soon-to-come event can take? One where charlie lives through it and prevails, and one where he's vanquished? Very nice.

Offline DeletedUser2

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »
Nice story. That is the teaser?

Your story is nice, please continue it...

OT: Tom! What can I say? I'm pleasantly surprised.
It's well-written and easy to read - thus making it enjoyable.
Great moves, keep it up.

Offline Bogdan.

• Void traveler
  • Definitely not a mage.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 03:39:50 PM »
That was really cool. So, I assume this and bog's stories are two different routes the soon-to-come event can take? One where charlie lives through it and prevails, and one where he's vanquished? Very nice.

We observe odd anomalies lately. Timelines jumping left and right, mysteries arising. People don't know what's going on.

Offline Dielan

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 03:48:20 PM »

We observe odd anomalies lately. Timelines jumping left and right, mysteries arising. People don't know what's going on.
God dammit fuck off you god damn bandwagoner