Author Topic: Classic World of Darkness (CWoD) Combat System  (Read 11129 times)

Offline Kingjohnrocks

Re: Classic World of Darkness (CWoD) Combat System
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2016, 07:42:08 AM »
How does this work with magic attacks?

Offline cantbearmaros

• who is this guy?
  • Sheriff's Department
  • professional samp player
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2016, 07:45:38 AM »

Elaborate

Offline Kingjohnrocks

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2016, 08:38:59 AM »

Elaborate

Well, would a magical attack be classed as a ranged, close combat or what? And if so, since I obviously wouldn't do dex + firearms or whatever for magic, what would I roll?

This entire system confuses the hell out of me, so yeah.

Offline cantbearmaros

• who is this guy?
  • Sheriff's Department
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2016, 08:55:28 AM »

Elaborate

Well, would a magical attack be classed as a ranged, close combat or what? And if so, since I obviously wouldn't do dex + firearms or whatever for magic, what would I roll?

when you're about to use magic, it'll become clear what you're supposed to roll, the book will cover it and it will become obvious which ones are ranged and which are not.

when it comes to magical attacks the bigger questions become what type of attacks they are, whether they can be dodged or countered through wits and occult rolls and so on, im sure ull get it figured out when u actually need to use them

Offline Kingjohnrocks

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »

Elaborate

when you're about to use magic, it'll become clear what you're supposed to roll, the book will cover it and it will become obvious which ones are ranged and which are not.

when it comes to magical attacks the bigger questions become what type of attacks they are, whether they can be dodged or countered through wits and occult rolls and so on, im sure ull get it figured out when u actually need to use them

Let's say you're using life 3 to effect someone's patterns, would you roll aręte and something else?

Offline cantbearmaros

• who is this guy?
  • Sheriff's Department
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2016, 09:57:03 AM »

Elaborate

Let's say you're using life 3 to effect someone's patterns, would you roll aręte and something else?

i dont know that much about mage rolls, so dont tale my word for granted, it will probably be life and matter, you must remember that your victims can countermagic that though.

affecting patterns seems like a power that the book would explain the usage of anyway

Offline d4rko

• Senior Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2016, 10:10:38 AM »
http://vwh-rp.com/index.php?topic=13439.0

This is guide taken directly from the book, it's How Do you DO That? That book pretty much covers everything you need to know about magick usage.

Offline Flavberg

• The Sept of Crescent Moon
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
blood sorcery is best

you just have to spend bloodpoints and roll willpower

it can't get easier than that !!

Offline Mkjmn

• Guess it
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2016, 01:57:42 AM »

Elaborate

Look all magik spells are rolled by Arete
Your arete determines how strong you can do the magik it self according to M:20 , Any Arete roll can be detected by other mages or supernatural creatures that have Awarness , Your difficulty is determined by two things , Difficulty in the book - the Modifiers you've got but if you're using any sphere you have to ask yourself a question , Is it relfex? If yes then does it take an arete roll or is it an automatic feat?
If not reflexiv ask the same other question does it take an arete roll or is it automatic?
If it's not automatic feat then you have to roll your Arete which is your power in making or doing a magik spell
Before doing a spell check how do you do that book and check the requirements of spheres if you have the right spheres you can do the spell and sometimes the spell might need fuel ( Quinstennces) as you might spend an amount of quinstennces every turn to keep the spell active and maybe sometimes you can spend more Quinstennces to make the spell stronger than normal , Check prime spheres stuff it'll explain more than the blah blah i'm saying i'm just saying a quick guide so that you understand the whole idea , as it's detailed in the M:20 Book and most of the spells are put in the How do you do that book , if it's not there then  yes check bogdan's guide for Mages as it's official if it's not anywhere you can ask in the onyx path saying what that skill nature is and what it does as effects and they will say the right spheres for it.
But to go back to our original topic , All magik feats/spells are rolled by arete only.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 02:12:29 AM by Mkjmn »
Alexander_Skylander

Offline Leon.

• Master Of Format
  • Emergency Services
  • The one and only.
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2016, 11:21:37 AM »
Flank or Rear Attacks
By attacking an opponent’s flank, an attacker reduces his difficulty by -1; by attacking from the rear, he reduces it by -2.
Is it still actual?
I can unban you only if you promise you won't order 100 pizzas at my home address.
Quote from: Rudy
Accepted along with this Flaw:

Character Killed (∞pt. Flaw): Character is no longer part of the game. You cannot post any more applications for James Stuart.

Offline cantbearmaros

• who is this guy?
  • Sheriff's Department
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »
for vtm its dice and if i remember right for wta its difficulty

Offline FiryalYay

• coegs mania
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
in /help > rolling says it's dice
ok.

Offline d4rko

• Senior Administrator
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2016, 11:48:02 AM »
Flank or Rear Attacks
By attacking an opponent’s flank, an attacker reduces his difficulty by -1; by attacking from the rear, he reduces it by -2.
Is it still actual?

You're a vampire, follow your book. Your book states that you get extra dice not lower difficulty.

Offline Leon.

• Master Of Format
  • Emergency Services
  • The one and only.
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
Flank or Rear Attacks
Is it still actual?

You're a vampire, follow your book. Your book states that you get extra dice not lower difficulty.
That's quite discrimination. Werewolfes got lower difficulty and vampires getting +1 or 2 dices.
I can unban you only if you promise you won't order 100 pizzas at my home address.
Quote from: Rudy
Accepted along with this Flaw:

Character Killed (∞pt. Flaw): Character is no longer part of the game. You cannot post any more applications for James Stuart.

Offline d4rko

• Senior Administrator
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2016, 11:51:26 AM »
Flank or Rear Attacks
Is it still actual?

That's quite discrimination. Werewolfes got lower difficulty and vampires getting +1 or 2 dices.

That is not the only thing that books contradict at, I can point you out a hundred more things.