Author Topic: A book in the library in the Philosophy section  (Read 256 times)

Offline Lurker

• oy vey
A book in the library in the Philosophy section
« on: April 12, 2017, 04:35:33 PM »
THOROUGHFARE

BY AURÉL KOVÁCS

CHAPTER I

'Through my short, yet remarkable, existence I have managed to form a trenchant interpretation on reality and why absolutes concerning this abstruse universe of ours and how any attempt at a sibylline prophecy concerning the ages to come is in essence utterly futile and naive. I shall be as terse as I could possibly be, yet the subject ahead is one that could be debated over the span of centuries. We shall begin with a fascinating and utterly stodgy topic, paradoxically at the very same time: Humans, more precisely human nature. When one thinks of our current reality, there is no denying the fact that humans, or homo sapiens as modern day science wishes to call them, correlate in the very core of what it means to exist, ergo we cannot deny the well deserved place that human beings hold onto our perceived universe. Without humans, there would be no one to ponder at the very nature of reality and thus they are not only necessary for the contemplation of such, but intrinsically forced to exist. Perhaps my ideas sound inconsistent or even worse, antithetical, but believe me, they are not, considering there are no unquestionable truths or wrongs, blacks or whites, when dealing with this theme, we cannot, therefor, have opposites in ideas, as nothing is set in stone. All of what I am saying might in fact be utterly inaccurate. Then, you might wonder, am I attempting to guide the herd into a misguided road that may in fact lead it's followers to the Abrahamic notion of Hell? Am I the dreaded Antichrist? Bewitching with hazy theories the faithful into a sinful road of doubt from where there is no salvation. That is by no means my intention. Dare I say, if it turns out my notion of an absurd and erratic universe, guided by reactionary impulses is in fact erroneous, I would be quite bewildered. You ask then, what of the faith? So many men and women of any and all upbringing, talents and knowledges believe in one thing or another, shall we take from this that their creed is most likely a delusion? How could a rampaging plague of the mind such as this exist? Yet you place words in my tongue that I have not and shall not utter. I shall not attempt to debate such a notion with philosophy, for I have my arguments and you have your arguments, and in most cases a clear victory could never be decided in such. Instead I will allow simple psychology to guide my rationale. It is entrenched in human nature, since the birth of complicated thought, to desire an afterlife. Understand, when mankind initially begun to comprehend their own existences, in a rather limited way, might I add, it came as no surprise that dread and despair followed. 'If we exist now, what shall happen when we die?' they had most certainly asked themselves. A fundamental question with no answer, merely speculation. Yet hypotheses weren't enough for these beings, much as they aren't for most men of our day and age. This desire, no, this need for assurance, that their lives weren't meaningless, that there wasn't a concrete end to their lives, sparked the first absolute. Life isn't insignificant. Yet here I come, eons later, to tell you otherwise, that objectively reality is inherently meaningless, yet is this not an absolute? Have I not simply tarnished everything I had stated earlier? No, for what I meant was that from our own perceptions, if stricken clear of outside influences we can feel the lack of purpose in our very beings. If there is an outer meaning that we cannot decipher, it is irrelevant. That isn't to say life is necessarily vacuous on a personal level, I despise any who would dare muddle their thoughts in nihilist cravings with no particular reasoning for their existence. It is in fact a great thing that there exists no sovereign power to rule our lives as it sees fit. For in this vacuum of meaning, we can create our own. Am I assuming man is some sort of divine entity then? No, we are not gods, we are men. It might seem complicated at first, for he whose mind is rooted in absolutes, he fears the subjective, the power of the individual, he fears control over his own life, his own decisions. If we are to believe that we make our own meaning, then it shall of course mean we make our own essence, through our actions and goals. Every decision you make, therefor must naturally come with consequence, squander your existence over a bad decision and you might lose a chance to fulfill your own meaning. It is, in fact, terrifying. I understand the appeal of absolutes, there is a god and an afterlife, so one must not worry or the opposite, there is no god and therefor no meaning, which means I am able to live my life as I please with no care for anything. It is easy to accept one of these poisonous beliefs into one's consciousness. After a subject has been enthralled by an absolute dogma, his brain will rationalize everything around him through the dogma's filter, never allowing for deviance in thought, for individual creativity and personal rationalization of the universe. Accepting subjectivity is a painful first step in a road that has no clear destination, what point is there then, in trotting this pathway of uncertainty? When absolutes have clear destinations in sight, such as heaven, nirvana or even nothingness. The only appeal that I might see on the relativist's path is the ability to make one's own path and perhaps through creating this path we might create our very own destination.'

CHAPTER II

'I mentioned in prior statements that the universe is reactionary, what could I have possibly meant by this? In a concise manner I am comparing the universe to a fly. Preposterous, I'm aware, but it explains everything, more or less. Why does the universe exist? Because it needed to exist. Why are there planets and suns and galaxies, because there was a need for them. For example, I mentioned earlier humans needed to exist and I stand by this statement. The reasoning for the existence of humans is not something I possess knowledge of, however it can range from anything humans are able to do. For example to ponder at the very nature of their existence and that of the universe. But how can I be so certain that the universe needed humans? Well, quite simply, because we exist. One might say it was random chance, which could be true, yet I'm more inclined to believe in this theory, one of the main reasons for my personal appreciation for this theory is because I created it. Why would it need suns and planets? To create life. Why would it need to create life? To create us. Why would it need to create us? For someone to contemplate the universe. Why would it need someone to contemplate the universe? I don't know. I don't claim absolute knowledge, I merely create hypothesis that could potentially explain the nature of the universe. If they sound ludicrous then all the better, existence is in itself audaciously absurd and stating it isn't by some absolute ideal, is a venality against the very fabric of the cosmos. Why like a fly then? Flies, as far as I'm aware, don't act, they don't think in any complex manner therefor they cannot act upon those thoughts. They simply react to environmental hazards or their own needs. 'I am hungry, ergo I must find food and eat', 'this creature is trying to kill me, therefore I must fly away'. Now place that upon the universe, 'I don't exist, hence I need to exist'. That is the fundamental beginning of the universe based upon my idea of a reactionary universe. Would this mean though, that the universe is sentient? Depends on how you define the word sentient. It might, yes, possess a limited ability to influence things based on outside or inward stimuli. But it could not think, for it has no brain. Although of course we're speaking of an utterly metaphysical concept. And what is the end goal of the universe? Once again, I don't know, perhaps it's already reached it's end goal by allowing our existence to emerge. Yet one thing I do know, it is absolutely irrelevant to our beings. We cannot affect the universe and in theory it cannot affect us in any parapsychological way. Thus, once again we're left to roam free in these stygian waters and find our own purpose, in fact, this might have been the end goal of the universe, to create beings that might create their own meaning.'
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 02:14:59 PM by Lurker »