Author Topic: Roleplaying a Mage Character.  (Read 273 times)

Offline Explosively Savage Arrow

• ooc agreement buddy, cant erp
Roleplaying a Mage Character.
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:47:03 PM »
So! I've been noticing a lot of Mage characters needing guidance, having good concepts but horrible executions of said concepts, so I decided to write up a short guide in order to give light to such issues, I'll write down, what in my humble opinion, sums up a mage character and how they're meant to be played.

This will be a fairly short guide, hopefully enough to answer any questions a mage player may have - if you feel as if my advices are "subjective" or "selective" you may post down below your opinions and I'll take them into consideration in future updates.

What is a Mage?

A mage is a human, no more, no less - they might believe they aren't, believe they're Gods of celestial beings of some sort but it comes down to one thing, and only one thing, they are humans. And like humans, they aren't perfect, no matter how 'enlightened' they are. To a Mage, the biggest imperfection is their humanity. Sure your Mage might act humane, but the way I've seen Mages acting in game, it's far from the human nature. Just because you have high Arete rating and enough spheres, it does not make you invincible, and sadly that's how Mages are nowadays. Every living being would do absolutely anything for their own survival, so far I've seen Mages jump into danger and not avoid it. Unless your mage is suicidal, going at a sect of vampires guns blazing is a really bad idea - they can pull out your spine and pick their fangs with your tail bone without second thought. To not stray too far away from the subject, Mages are humans - act like a human being.

How do I play out my mage?

Mages, in addition to being human, they are gifted ones as well. To play out your mage, you need to have various key factors to make you roleplay that character correctly and not sway away from your course of development. Every Mage has an agenda, some of them might be really simple and others might be extreme. For example, an agenda is something your Mage aims for in each time you roleplay, it could be greatness, it could be something as simple as practicing your Magick in peace somewhere remote, developing your arts and living a quiet life. What I'm saying here is that characters need a goal to succeed in, each roleplay should be bringing you closer or further away from it, depending on how your character plays out in key events which furthers or brings forth said goal. So in addition to acting like a human being, you need to 'survive' to achieve your goals. Virtual Adepts would have never been able to hack into technocracy dens and gather intel if they were out there dying to vampire Elders because it called them names, that's really not how it works.

Acting out your Character.

Mages have issues, being enlightened doesn't make you stop snorting coke due to an addiction, or sucking dick to make money because you're broke. Awakening is usually a really stressful process, described as terrifying at times - you open your eyes to things you believed weren't possible, you need to cope with some thing as traumatizing as this creatively. Whatever happened to your character in her background should reflect on your character right now, and hopefully grow out of such pressures during active roleplay. Perhaps good things might reflect on a mage, changing them to the best or to the worst; never take away changes to divert from your original path for your mage, it creates drama and drama leads to good roleplay, IF DONE PROPERLY, yes I had to put that in all caps because they think drama is some high-school fight scene where a 19 year old goes on a 16 year old for calling each other names. It's not right, Drama means to perform - you need to create good performance in order to make the game more creative and more enjoyable for all.

Separate IC from OOC.

A lot of you are guilty of this, and you know who you are.

Roleplay the tone of the World of Darkness

While Mage isn't exactly the darkest themed game of the series, it can get really dark and in an unlimited amount of ways. The reason as to why I enjoy Mage, is because it gives virtually unlimited concepts to try out and build on, make your character a product of your creativity and leave your mark on the said game to make it even more fun. You can literally try the same concept differently every time and have a variety of RP scenes play out extremely different and thus, making your imagination run extremely wild. This doesn't only apply to Magick though, it applies to your own character as well, something all of Mage chars are guilty of when you start.

Development.

I can't stress this enough, development is key to any good character and any enjoyable roleplay. You don't have to try hard to develop your character, just go with the flow man, see where the text leads you, see where the text places you and your character - discover your character more as you play her, characters are people in an imaginary setting, and they grow with time and you should RP that too. You can't RP the same character at your first enlightenment rank after reaching the third, the same way an Adren isn't the same as a Cub. You are expected to grow wiser when you grow in terms of enlightenment, you could maintain the same sarcastic personality, but your actions should definitely speak otherwise.

As I said, this will be a brief guide, these are the core problems I think need fixing - if I see need for this to be expanded upon, I will do so. Hopefully I wouldn't need to though.

Offline cantbearmaros

• who is this guy?
  • Sheriff's Department
  • professional samp player
Re: Roleplaying a Mage Character.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 11:48:32 PM »
Very Good Read it all Very Good SeemsGood

Offline Shan_Minola

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:58:10 AM »
SO GUD!

Offline Jeffrey Gain

• "You cant close your eyes, once they are opened"
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »
Very useful actually, good job dud.
Your English is so bad that I found it physically difficult just to read that single paragraph.
ARE YOU HAVING A BAD TIME, GETTING RAPED BY VAMPIRES?

JUST FUCKING DO IT.
END IT.

Offline Mark Edson

• i'm not alone allah always with me.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:35:15 PM »
nice guide
Eric_Sutherland
Calvin_Erickson
Jeffrey_Maxey

Offline Cocaina

• Fuckoff.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »
Hokey, Not that much mages play this game anymore since the new mage update.
Cocaina

Characters:
Spoiler for Hidden:
Frederick_Houghton
Jacob_Houghton
Matthew_Thomas
Christopher_Harrison
List all of your personal accounts. I'm banning them all.

Offline cantbearmaros

• who is this guy?
  • Sheriff's Department
  • professional samp player
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 02:29:15 PM »

then it worked

Offline The Eternal Stud

• Aligatus Sanguis
  • Army of one
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:32:16 PM »

best update ever so far

Offline Lucid

• Aligatus Sanguis
  • I love the shore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »

best update ever so far

also, it proves that they only create a mage for power and not rp

Offline Explosively Savage Arrow

• ooc agreement buddy, cant erp
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 02:39:18 PM »

best update ever so far

also, it proves that they only create a mage for power and not rp
that's why i wrote the guide

Offline Angels And Demons

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »
magic is gay
The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.