Author Topic: Custom System: "Starting Over" Character Deaths  (Read 586 times)

Online C. White

• Trial Administrator
  • Hunter Race Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Over: Character Deaths
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 03:38:00 PM »
I think the point is to not lose all the progress you've gained, not put all the progress you've gained into a completely different char concept.
well that makes a ck nothing but a pk with a bigger death penalty imo

Online Raven

• All-Seeing Eye
  • Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 05:13:11 PM »
The system is fine, but I disagree with one point.

Playing the same Tradition (Avatar Essence too)/ Clan/ Tribe (Auspice too) would only get repetitive. If a character died in a significant way, it is obvious that you'd grow accustomed and fond of it, therefore the new character, of the same basically everything, will be, more or less, a copy of the previous one.

Of course, if changes are radical, say playing a Bone Gnawer and changing to a Silver Fang, or playing a Verbenae and switching to one of the Society of Ether or the Mercurial Elite, the Race Moderators will have to either test you or brief you on the lore and complexity of the Paradigms, Practices, etcaetera.

If you decide to change it so that we can choose Factions of the same allegiance (Traditions/ Sects/ Garou Nation) it would be more diverse and dynamic, in my opinion.

@Raven

We would have to take the stats & powers refund off the table then.
Say a Tremere transitions into a Brujah; you couldn't possibly let them get the same set of powers w/o applying.

Online C. White

• Trial Administrator
  • Hunter Race Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 05:16:17 PM »
well of course. replacing a character with another does not include stacking their abilities and powers.

Offline Skeeper0

• Game Administrator
  • humor cooleth blood; wrath spillth it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 06:10:51 PM »
The system is fine, but I disagree with one point.

Playing the same Tradition (Avatar Essence too)/ Clan/ Tribe (Auspice too) would only get repetitive. If a character died in a significant way, it is obvious that you'd grow accustomed and fond of it, therefore the new character, of the same basically everything, will be, more or less, a copy of the previous one.

Of course, if changes are radical, say playing a Bone Gnawer and changing to a Silver Fang, or playing a Verbenae and switching to one of the Society of Ether or the Mercurial Elite, the Race Moderators will have to either test you or brief you on the lore and complexity of the Paradigms, Practices, etcaetera.

If you decide to change it so that we can choose Factions of the same allegiance (Traditions/ Sects/ Garou Nation) it would be more diverse and dynamic, in my opinion.

@Raven

We would have to take the stats & powers refund off the table then.
Say a Tremere transitions into a Brujah; you couldn't possibly let them get the same set of powers w/o applying.

And that is completely all right. Each Clan/ Tradition/ Tribe has its own shtick, its own way of doing things and its own powers. If I changed from a physically weak yet magically potent Tremere to a Brujah, I could invest more in physical stats and mental ones, since Brujah are not all chads. If I changed from an Ecstatic to a Mercurial Elite, I would change my building path from Social and Physical to Mental and Skill
s, and whatnot. It's not all too complicated, but it requires some little attention.

And sure, an application is fine - not to apply for said power, but to make some order in how you replace your skills, Disciplines, Spheres, Renown/ Gifts and whatnot.

well of course. replacing a character with another does not include stacking their abilities and powers.

And yes, C White is right, from my point of view at least. As I mentioned before, if we were to start with the same background, there would be a chance of at least 75 percent to create a character just like the one before, which is rather unpleasant.

I think the point is to not lose all the progress you've gained, not put all the progress you've gained into a completely different char concept.

If I risked my character's life in a meaningful event, then I am fully aware that I could die and I assumed that risk. I don't quite see the point of refunding basically the same character if you willingly threw yourself in the face of danger. That's the way I see things at least.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:14:21 PM by Skeeper0 »

Offline Shmoits

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 08:30:13 PM »
I don't understand what people are on about. This is an OPTIONAL thing that you had no previous choice of getting. Why are you asking for more? If you want to roleplay a different kind of character you apply as you always have. This is for somebody who wants to continue playing the same type of character after their character dies. If you don't want that then this system is not for you.

Imagine getting $5 for doing nothing and asking for $5 more.

Also nobody is stopping you from not taking the same backgrounds without applying and just applying for different backgrounds. Same with merits, other powers that character didn't have. etc.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:42:15 PM by Shmoits »

Offline Mephisto

• #carpediem
    • View Profile
Re: Custom System: "Starting Over" Character Deaths
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 11:28:09 AM »
25% of their experience, that's a huge nerf

Online C. White

• Trial Administrator
  • Hunter Race Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Custom System: "Starting Over" Character Deaths