Author Topic: PvP System  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Rudy

• Forum Administrator
PvP System
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:40:19 PM »
Quote from: Vampire The Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition
Everybody’s against everybody in the World of Darkness, and there’s never enough to go around.

Introduction
PvP mode is an optional mode for players who want to experience the dark World of Darkness at its fullest. While in PvP mode, you don't need a firm reason to attack another player as long as the target is also in PvP mode. The classic (SA-MP) "roleplay" reasoning for attacking is still needed if a PvP player is attacking players who are not in PvP mode. PvP mode doesn't apply for scripted combat. Note that senseless killings won't be tolerated.

PvP Reasoning
There is no invalid attack reason as long as you roleplay by your character's concept. Hybrids, for example, can be killed by anyone and anyone can kill them just for the mere fact they are Hybrids. Same logic can be applied to Hunters, Vampires and Werewolves conflict can be reasoned with the same logic, BSD and Silver Fangs, Technocrats and Traditionalists, Sabbat and Camarilla, etc. Note that you need still to find out IC-ly about a certain character's race or affiliation.

Parties
When it comes to PvP parties, anyone can be killed by anyone without being accused for DM as long as the scene is not completely senseless. A party is considered a PvP party where the majority are PvP players.

Safezone
The heart of Palomino Creek (the highlighted zone) is considered a safezone where PvP is automatically switched off for every player inside the zone so no DM fest in Palomino Creek. (The bank interior is also considered a safezone while on the other hand, the alleyways, Fisher's Lagoon, church, graveyard are not.)

Deaths
Dying while in PvP mode won't result in an experience point loss (losing an attribute dot) if the character didn't die in the last 48 paydays. So once you die, there is a "free death" cooldown of 48 paydays and if you die before the cooldown ends, you are losing the highest dot of your Attributes as if you weren't in PvP mode.

Bonus Experience
PvP players get extra experience points spawned. The first experience point gets spawned when a PvP player collects 24 paydays, the second experience point will be awarded after another 23 paydays collected and so on. The rate at which PvP experience will be given will improve until it drops down to 1 experience point every 6 padays. If you've spent more than 50% of the payday in AFK mode (/(h)ouse sleep); that payday won't count for PvP extra experience. Once you die the PvP experience rate gets reset to 1 experience point every 24 padays collected and you need to start over as if you just switched to PvP.

Commands
The command to toggle PvP mode is /(tog)gle(pvp) and it is also good to know that it takes 3 paydays to disable PvP mode and another 3 to enable it. Informaton about PvP mode and "free death" cooldown can be checked via /e(xp)erience(log) command. /id command prints out whether a player has PvP enabled or not while /pvplist lists all PvP players online. PvP players get a notification every time a non PvP player enables PvP mode.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:44:31 AM by Rudy »

Offline Skeeper0

• Emergency Services
  • Everyone has their time.
Re: PvP System
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 12:44:32 PM »
do we simply ask a player if he has the PvP mode On or is there a way we can see that ourselves?
To see the face of immortality, you must leave the human world
behind.
This fire, these woods, the wind in the branches overhead,
This is the true world, the Mother’s realm,
The seat of the immortal, the heart of our world.
The Weaver spins a gilded web, and strong, but it is false,
Ephemeral, when placed against the branches or the flames.
Steel and glass give brave assurances, but only viewed against our
fragile flesh.
Inside that flesh, inside ourselves, is immortality.

Offline Mr.death

• - Music -
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
do we simply ask a player if he has the PvP mode On or is there a way we can see that ourselves?

It shows you when you type /id.

Offline Hades

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 01:01:12 PM »

/id command prints out whether a player has PvP enabled or not. PvP players get a notification every time a non PvP player enables PvP mode.

Offline Skeeper0

• Emergency Services
  • Everyone has their time.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »

/id command prints out whether a player has PvP enabled or not. PvP players get a notification every time a non PvP player enables PvP mode.
thanks. rudy either added this after he's posted the topic or i was too blind to see it
To see the face of immortality, you must leave the human world
behind.
This fire, these woods, the wind in the branches overhead,
This is the true world, the Mother’s realm,
The seat of the immortal, the heart of our world.
The Weaver spins a gilded web, and strong, but it is false,
Ephemeral, when placed against the branches or the flames.
Steel and glass give brave assurances, but only viewed against our
fragile flesh.
Inside that flesh, inside ourselves, is immortality.

Offline Jackiee

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 01:08:48 PM »
not a fan of palomino creek being the safe zone, where else does rp take place?
edit; i retract my statement
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:31:48 PM by Jackiee »

Offline Southern

• The Sept of Crescent Moon
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »

Offline Lock

• Emergency Services
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 01:44:55 PM »
Thankfully we have a command to keep Leon away from us now.

Offline Raven Corella

• Trial Administrator
  • Humilitas occidit superbiam.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 01:57:16 PM »
I doubt I'll ever switch to PvP but I have some concerns nevertheless.

1. In regards to the safezone:
I believe it's way too small at this point, the entirety of central PC should be safe.
The hospital and Sheriff's department should most definitely be a safe zone
I'd suggest extending to at least this:
Spoiler for Hidden:

2. I'd also like to suggest the ability to make your own house a safe haven, altho dunno how it'd work in this system.

3. Now unto more pressing concerns, baiting and such.
How will consequences work as far as pvp is concerned?
For instance, Trevor Bryne walks up to a group of vampires in the parking lot while in PvP mode, he provokes a fight and eventually gets himself killed. Vasha Wolf reports this to big bad wolf sept, and they in turn kill Parker a few hours later when he turns the pvp system off. As a result of this, one player lost experience while the other did not.

4. You have a proper reason to kill a player, you switch into PvP mode before attacking him and as a result, should you end up dying - you will lose no experience thanks to the freebie. If you win, you can just go sleep it off and go back to non pvp.

5. What's to stop players from switching into PvP mode while involved in a scene that doesn't favor them and knowing they might die?

6. What happens if a PvP v/ PvP player enter conflict, it's solved without either party dying (i.e. one of them fled then changed back to RP) can the PvP party still attack the roleplayer afterwards?

If you want a PvP system, I would just suggest creating an arena zone (i.e. Folnkirk's circle thingie) where if you get in a fight and die you will lose no experience (but may still be looted), where it's ruled that there are no consequences, i.e. what happens in the arena stays in the arena. That would be way easier to manage in my opinion and maybe entice players to actually go pvp to their heart's content.

Thanks.

Offline Leon.

• Master Of Format
  • Banned!
  • Bored.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 01:59:23 PM »
Thankfully we have a command to keep Leon away from us now.
Thankfully we don't have moderators that give ERP players  dots in lores for ERP.

Offline Jeffrey Gain

• edgy
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »
Well hunters now can freely kill supernaturals with PvP mode on, niiiiiiiice.

Offline Leon.

• Master Of Format
  • Banned!
  • Bored.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 02:21:21 PM »
You don't get it.

Offline Raven Corella

• Trial Administrator
  • Humilitas occidit superbiam.
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 02:49:04 PM »
You'd still need to know that they are supernaturals to begin with.

Offline C. White

• Sheriff's Department
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »
You'd still need to know that they are supernaturals to begin with.
thats easy

but it wont be satisfying. Just killing them for no reason
Quote from: Karthus
“You mortals,”
“You fear what you do not understand and would turn away from a boon that is freely offered.”

Offline Mustard_xP07

• The Sept of Crescent Moon
  • do u not know your own lore?
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 12:02:56 AM »
I doubt I'll ever switch to PvP but I have some concerns nevertheless.

1. In regards to the safezone:
I believe it's way too small at this point, the entirety of central PC should be safe.
The hospital and Sheriff's department should most definitely be a safe zone
I'd suggest extending to at least this:
Spoiler for Hidden:

2. I'd also like to suggest the ability to make your own house a safe haven, altho dunno how it'd work in this system.

3. Now unto more pressing concerns, baiting and such.
How will consequences work as far as pvp is concerned?
For instance, Trevor Bryne walks up to a group of vampires in the parking lot while in PvP mode, he provokes a fight and eventually gets himself killed. Vasha Wolf reports this to big bad wolf sept, and they in turn kill Parker a few hours later when he turns the pvp system off. As a result of this, one player lost experience while the other did not.

4. You have a proper reason to kill a player, you switch into PvP mode before attacking him and as a result, should you end up dying - you will lose no experience thanks to the freebie. If you win, you can just go sleep it off and go back to non pvp.

5. What's to stop players from switching into PvP mode while involved in a scene that doesn't favor them and knowing they might die?

6. What happens if a PvP v/ PvP player enter conflict, it's solved without either party dying (i.e. one of them fled then changed back to RP) can the PvP party still attack the roleplayer afterwards?

If you want a PvP system, I would just suggest creating an arena zone (i.e. Folnkirk's circle thingie) where if you get in a fight and die you will lose no experience (but may still be looted), where it's ruled that there are no consequences, i.e. what happens in the arena stays in the arena. That would be way easier to manage in my opinion and maybe entice players to actually go pvp to their heart's content.

Thanks.

This is actually a good point.