Author Topic: 5. Guide to Starting Points, Freebies, Merits, Flaws, and Backgrounds.  (Read 121 times)

Offline Lirbo

• Senior Administrator
    • View Profile
Okay, so I get these questions very frequently, from new and veteran players as one.
I would recommend EVERYONE read this guide before allocating Character Sheet, unless you're 100% sure what you're doing.

Character Creation:
Upon character creation, your character sheet would be empty. Attributes would have a single automatic point (1/5) and your Abilities would be 0/5. In order to increase those traits, you'll have to use your Starting Points, Freebies, or XP.  Each character would start with a few benefits that would allow them to have a solid base, those are:
• Starting Points
• 15 Freebies
• 5 Background Freebies

Starting Points:
As mentioned above, upon character creation your Character Sheet would be empty. However, you'll have some Starting Points that would allow you to craft a solid base for your character. There are 3 types of them, Attributes Starting Points, Abilities Starting Points, and Virtues Starting Points (see pictures below).
Spoiler for Pictures:

Attributes Starting Points:
You get 15 Attributes Starting Points, those should be allocated into three categories, Physical, Social, and Mental. However, they have to be split into 7/5/3, the player has the choice to decide which of those sections would be their character's strong side.

Abilities Starting Points:
You get 27 Abilities Starting Points, those should be allocated into three categories as well, Talents, Skills, and Knowledges. However, they have to be split into 13/9/5, the player has the choice to decide which of those sections would be their character's strong side (Abilities are limited at a maximum of 3/5 at this stage).

Virtues Starting Points:
You get 7 Virtues Starting Points, you can allocate them in any way you want between your Virtues. Pretty simple.

Freebies:
Upon character creation, you'll get 5 Background-Freebies, you could purchase Backgrounds ONLY with those. However, you'll also get 15 regular Freebies, which would allow you to purchase anything from the list below:

* TIP: You could also get additional Freebie for each point of Flaw that you take (to a maximum of 7).

Personal Advise:
Many people find themselves accidentally spending all of their Freebies on their Character Sheet, while this is possible It is definitely not recommended. When allocating your Starting Points (see above) I would suggest you keep your eyes open, one wrong click and you will spend your Freebies on something you didn't plan.

If you ask me, spend it all on Merits. Merits are the only feature that can be purchased with Freebies only, the rest could be also purchased with XP, I would totally go for 22pt. Merits, 7pt. Flaws.
In case you really feel like you don't need more Merits, I'd say go for additional Backgrounds. The reason is that Backgrounds tend to be expensive when bought with XP, yet very cheap when purchased with Freebies.

You could also come up with your own wise combination, follow the Freebies2XP chart below:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Background: 1 Freebie (6 XP) per point.

Attributes:
Attribute 1 -> 2: 5 Freebies (4 XP).
Attribute 2 -> 3: 5 Freebies (8 XP).
Attribute 3 -> 4: 5 Freebies (12 XP).
Attribute 4 -> 5: 5 Freebies (16 XP).

Abilities:
Ability 0 -> 1: 2 Freebies (3 XP).
Ability 1 -> 2: 2 Freebies (2 XP).
Ability 2 -> 3: 2 Freebies (4 XP).
Ability 3 -> 4: 2 Freebies (6 XP).